Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Hometown

We went back to Orlando for my sister's wedding this last week and it was absolutely wonderful. There were so many great things about it that I'll have blogging subject matter for a month probably, so I'll divide the days and events over several posts. First up: my childhood neighborhood. You're looking at it! We were as midtown as you could ever be, living in walking distance of this spot (Lake Eola). They have a great fireworks display on the 4th and lots of neat little places to eat and walk to. Eat and walk we did on this first day of our trip. We spent the whole day wandering around with my Mom and stepdad (Pop), sweetening the old memories with new ones.

We had lunch here at this outdoor cafe before heading across the street to walk around the lake.

Lake Eola has a great playground now (something they didn't have when I was a kid) and Grammy helped Josh explore every bit of it!

There are SO MANY different kinds of tropical birds that hang out here, FASCINATING to Mr. Critter. He tried so desperately to catch someone but they all managed to fly away. I don't know if swans qualify as tropical but they were the only thing I recognized. We followed-up our excursion by driving by my old school and home. We even stopped and visited with our old neighbors -- folks our family continues to keep in touch with. It was a lovely day and I hope Joshua remembers it all so he can keep a piece of my history for his own.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

liesel said...

What a fun way to take a stroll down memory lane.

Anonymous said...

Visiting with you and your family in one of my favorite places made Thursday a VERY memorable day. I enjoyed every moment, even when the car refused to start!
Mom

The Urbans said...

I had date night with Simeon tonight, and I was telling him about the video of your brother throwing up corn chowder on the windows and in the bushes of certain restaurants. I do wish you'd figure out a way to post that video on your blog. Simeon wants to see it really badly!