Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Scrapbooking

 

Do you scrapbook? I've heard this question so many times and, to my shame, I've had to answer "No". It always scared me a little. It's such a commitment to place that picture, that way, on that colored paper, with that decoration on that page. What if you don't like it THAT way in 10 years? What if my daughter-in-law looks at it and thinks my taste was cheesy and I was way too nuts about my baby? Imagining the kitchen conversation she and Josh would have, ("So that it explains it all - you're a total Mama's boy!") I'd hate to be a future source of marital problems.

Well, my sister-in-law, Becky, booted me off the cliff and invited me over for a scrapbooking slumber party last week. She thinks nothing of any of this and held my hand very graciously (Becky has the unfair advantage of having a little girl and, thus, anything she does will be absolutely adorable and everyone will forever be ok with that). Anyway, we started at 8:00pm and at 3:00am I finished a page. Seriously. We had to go look up the E*trade baby commercials on the computer for a laugh break a time or two because I was so nauseatingly nervous.

I hate to say it but, since then, I've kinda gotten hooked. My dining table is 'a table of scraps' and my boys are gently encouraging me to bravely move forward. Joshua even took a picture of me holding the scary book:

 


You know, if I were real honest, some of my apprehension may have been the sentimental journey scrapbooking takes you on. There's no denying that time is going, going, and eventually will be gone. Yes, that gives me a pit in my stomach. And, future daughter-in-law, yes I am way too nuts about that baby. But don't worry -- someday I'll very graciously hold your hand while you venture into your first "scary" scrapbook....

No comments: