Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Scrapbooking

 

Do you scrapbook? How many times have I heard this question and shamefully had to answer, "No". It's always scared me a little. It seemed like such a commitment to put that picture, that way, on that colored paper, with that decoration, on that page. What if I don't like it THAT way in 10 years? What if my daughter-in-law looks at it someday and thinks I had cheesy taste and I was way too nuts about my baby? Imagining the kitchen conversation she and Joshua might have, ("So that explains it all - you're a total mama's boy!") I would hate to be a source of future marital conflict.

Well, my sister-in-law, Becky, booted me off the cliff last week when she invited me over for a scrapbooking slumber party. She thinks nothing of this and graciously held my hand through the foreboding start-up process. (Becky has the unfair advantage of having a little girl and, thus, anything she does will be considered absolutely adorable and everyone will forever be ok with this). Anyway, we got started at 8:00pm and I finished my first page at 3:00am. Seriously. We actually had to go look up the E*trade baby commercials on the internet just for a laugh break once or twice because I was so nauseatingly nervous.

Since then, I've kinda gotten hooked. My dining table is heaped with scraps and books and my family is encouraging me to bravely continue on. Joshua even took a picture of me holding the scary book:

 


Truthfully, some of my apprehension may have been the sentimental journey I knew scrapbooking would take me on. Sorting through those pictures, there's no denying that time is going, going, and eventually will be gone. Yep, that gives me a pit in my stomach. It also makes me very, very thankful that I got to take this journey at all. So, yes, future daughter-in-law, I may be too nuts about that baby but don't worry -- I'll graciously hold your hand through your first scrapbooking steps too....
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Juls said...

Wow Jen! I'm near tears...It is so hard to go through all those pics, especially for me since Alyssa is our last. My sister-in-law had to push me into scrapbooking this summer. Have fun with it.
Love,
Juls

Anonymous said...

Jordan will be OK with the scrapbook :)

Anonymous said...

Jen, I am so glad you have tackled several hurdles recently: going "on-line" and scrapbooking. I know how you feel about time flying by. That feeling never goes away - I still see you three as my babies and miss you all very much. However, the advent of grandchildren certainly helps ease the pain!! Vive les petites fils!
Mom

tucker belton said...

if aunt B scrapbooked all her pictures, they'd take up an entire room.

kirsten said...

I'm hoping the blogging counts for scrapbooking, b/c my baby albums are a mess!

kirsten said...

By the way...love your music! You always did pick out good tunes!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, when i die and go to heaven i'm going to ask the Lord if i can go back and read your Memoir's - i'm sure the'll be several volumes!
PS - i want to see a picture of you with a guitar!
love ya,
pop

Anonymous said...

I can sooooo relate to this. The fear of committing to the page and it not being perfect gets to me. I have, under diress, completed Jac's first and second years, and Ethan's first year. When I was pregnant with Gavin, my friends at work--who are professional croppers--knew that I was so guilt-ridden about scrapbooking that they made me a beautiful book that I could just slide Gavin's pictures in for his first year. I was so touched I cried.

Morgan said...

Hi. This is not a comment about your scrapbooking, however I am excited for you on saving all your memories in one amazing and artistic way. I just wanted to tell you I added one of your songs to my playlist on my blog. Gotta love Napoleon!

Ashley said...

AWWW! Ok, now I am a slacker! I do not scrapbook either!! I guess my kids will have to share the blog! HA! All my pics are still in the box that glows, it is called the computer! Sad, huh? I miss you & love ya!!