Friday, June 20, 2008

There's Something Wrong With Me

I was talking to my friend Tempelle this morning and we (well, she) started discussing purses. She commented on how she was really liking this giraffe-patterened purse until she noticed that everyone else was suddenly carrying it. Really? She went on to mention the popular disc-shaped purse and the over-sized ones, etc. -- and that's when it occurred to me that something is genetically wrong with me. I don't notice purses. When I mentioned this to Tempelle she confirmed my problem by noting that I've been carrying the same bag for years, every day and for every season. Admitting this is humiliating, knowing the deep sense of style so many of my friends have. This will certainly test the sincerity of your fondness for me. But wait, I'm on a roll, I have more to get out of the closet. I have never, will never and have no desire to get a mani/pedicure done. There, I said it! My crowd here loves to do that, and when its mentioned as a possibility for something to do, I realize I have some paperwork for taxes to get done. This, too, I confessed to Tempelle and as a true friend she assured me that she has problems too. For example, when she notices that everyone's hair is looking like Katie Holmes or that 20 people at church are carrying the same purse, she likes to laugh at them. Point her finger, even. I realize she is only trying to keep me from despairing and going to see what else is in my closet but boy, I sure do appreciate her. Thanks, Tempelle! I'll keep your secret if you keep mine.

5 comments:

liesel said...

HA HA HA. That's funny. I noticed a giraffe purse the other day, and I thought to myself, "I wonder if that lady has noticed that the pattern on her purse looks an awful lot like a giraffe's spots?" So you are telling me that is was DESIGNED that way? I guess I'm right there with you in the out-of-fashion boat!

Juls said...

The purse thing I completely agree with...I have a black purse that gets used every day for every occasion. However, the mani/pedi thing...I would have to say, I used to think the same way as you, but it actually is really nice because they massage your feet and get rid of the gross dry winter heels I get...It's a good thing to do about every three months tops. But the ladies in ATL like to get it done every week...that's just excessive (if you ask me):)

kirsten said...

That's b/c you have cute dainty feet that don't need regular pedicures and even your fingernails always look nice. Although I can't support you on the purse thing....ever since I was little I loved purses....I probably could use a purse therapist!

Amy Wages said...

You know I'm in the same boat as you...in fact, the longer it lasts, the better it must be! Of course, I carry my black purse from Target that looks almost like a back pack if you unzip the shoulder strap...that way, I can chase kids easier and bend over to drag them off the floor if needed.

Tami said...

Hm... Tempelle sounds like a kindred spirit. I saw that purse in NYC and wanted it so bad. Then we came home and it was quite literaly EVERYWHERE. Now I'm really glad we spent so much on seafood and gas that I couldn't afford it.