Friday, July 3, 2009

Random Thoughts

As I was walking through my neighborhood this morning I had two thoughts. One: there is one cove where every house seems to have rabbit lawn ornaments. Why the theme? Are they having problems with volunteer lettuce growth that they want to scare off? I don't know. The other thought was: why does no one ever remember meeting me? Seriously. Through the years (and even Greg has started to notice) people will introduce themselves to me over and over again. Yesterday was just another example of a woman "meeting" me for the 3rd time. Like all other previous occasions like this, I already know her name, the place we met the first (and second) time, the conversations we've had, and even where she lives - because she has even given me her phone number and address before. And yet, yesterday I could tell that a 3rd time might turn into a 4th. So what do I do? I just go along with it. Greg wants to know why I don't try to discreetly jog their memory and I liken it to once upon a time when I would stand in the grocery line with my baby, and the sweet old lady behind me would comment on what a beautiful little girl I had.....even though he was a little husky and dressed all in blue. Is it really worth embarassing the other person with their mistake? Instead I would just answer, "Yes, we think she's pretty special". And so it goes. On the upside, it might be that I have a hidden super-power of invisibility - which would enable me to stake out that cove and figure out the rabbit situation.....

7 comments:

kirsten said...

Ironic, i remember the very first time I saw you and thinking she's so cute, wish I had hair like that! definitely not invisible; maybe your just meeting people who have dementia or alzheimers; I'm w/ Greg; jog their memory. they may need to be connecting those synapses a little more! :):)

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will work,
Next time you want to walk down that street grab your shotgun, sling it over your shoulder and as you walk start saying HERE KITTY,HERE KITTY KITTY,HERE KITTY.
When she comes out to see what's going on ( hi, my name is Jennifer and I'm looking for my d____ cat!
She won't forget you for a long time!!

jennifer... said...

WHO wrote the above comment?!?

Anonymous said...

I confess, I did!
Am I banned from your blog now?
Pop

kirsten said...

oh my! what's w/ the shotgun comment? don't know whether to laugh or be really concerned!

jennifer... said...

No ban. I thought it was you!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh! Pop, I'm laughing on the floor, rolling around holding my ribs...The visual of Jennifer with a shotgun over her shoulder calling out "here kitty, kitty!"...Too funny!!!!!!!

Julie:)

P.S. Jen, I'm with Kirsten...maybe you're just meeting people on the brink of insanity or old geezers who just don't care.