Monday, July 13, 2009

Grampa & Gram

 

My Dad and Step-Mom visited this last weekend on their way from Orlando to Durango. They're traveling the old-fashioned, fun way - taking the backroads and stopping at whatever interests them. Thankfully, we qualified and, hopefully, we beat things like the worlds biggest ball of yarn! We had such a great time and were thoroughly spoiled by them. Gram had her ear out for any little thing that Josh might be hurting for - like the Pokemon card that would beat all the neighbor kids' - and became a hero at Target with him. She also had lots of insightful, encouraging words on motherhood that I was very grateful for.

Do you see a similar expression in my Dad and his grandson? Those likenesses go deeper. Of the hand-me-down qualities, a very silly sense of humor and a deep-thinking spirituality are two of them. What a combination, huh? I love it. There's an intangible legacy I am being blessed with in my Dad. Have been all my life and now it's being passed along. Since we don't see them that often, this weekend was a curious and very warming reminder of that. Reminds me of all the verses (I looked them up - there are too many to cite) that promise faithfulness to the Lord from one generation to the next. The fact that it is playing out before me is, well, amazing.

We love you Grampa & Gram!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

kirsten said...

So sweet. BTW, Dan would love that Blue Grass rendition of 'Fly Away Old Glory' ...where can I find it?

Anonymous said...

Yay for pictures from home! Dad and Joshua look SOOO similar. How cute!! And Mom is a phenomenal shopper; she puts me to shame. I blame it on the fact that we don't have Target in NZ, but I suspect it goes way back to her New York roots - and focus.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much dad and Joshua look alike in that photo. And yes, mom is the queen of shopping, especially for other people. I am glad you all had a great time!
I love you!
Amanda