Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Welcome Home, Boy (pt.II)

A couple years ago, we found out we were moving to a new state. For financial and convenient reasons, we ended up having to sacrifice the outside space of our new home. We wondered how Kodiak would fare in his small backyard and it was obvious very quickly that this was not going to work. Barking at 5:30 am is not cool with new neighbors and neither is the fact that we had the ONLY big (AKA: real) dog anywhere around. What to do? Well, Greg's parents, who live in our vicinity, offered to take him for us. They had the open spaces we had left behind and it just made sense. The buzz of all things new kept us distracted from missing him, and we did visit often.

But....over the last several months we have noticed his pace slow a bit. Instead of having an incessant need to fetch a ball, he seemed more content to just lay at our feet. And though we fixed as posh a dog pad as we possibly could for him, the weather was getting noticeably tougher for him to handle.

Then one night, after watching 'Marley & Me', it occurred to us that, after all these years, Kodiak no longer wanted to be away from Joshua. He no longer needed acres to run and jump in. At almost 11 years old, he was ready to be our inside dog again -- he needed to come home! If a rotten dog like Marley was as treasured as he was then our faithful Kodiak certainly deserved all we could give him!

Welcome home, boy.

 

Now that he's back with us, we are enjoying what a great decision this was. And I can't tell you how happy Kodiak's "little brother" has been about all this! They love to go throw the ball around the yard - perfect solution for someone who has an uncontrollable need to throw and someone else with like need to catch....

 

And doesn't this say it all? What's a tent in the living room when you have a dog you can sleep next to? I'm not sure who's more content.

 

The only down-side is now someone ELSE is missing him!:( He made a really good grand-dog....

 


We are thankful for all the years of our life that we have had Kodiak. He has been an integral part of the twists and turns, the tears and the joys, that have ended up being our story. A story that, as a dog, you just take for granted. But I guess, sometimes, I do too.....until I start telling it.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see Kodiak back home. What a sweet story. You, Jen, are a good story teller. Have you thought of writing a book or something?! ILY Mom

Shannon said...

Treasure the time with Kodiak, makes me miss Sadie and wishing I had that one more day with her to play catch.

Charissa said...

Ha ha, you're making me cry!

Ashley said...

I am so glad ya'll have him back home! What a story and I must say when I think of your family, Kodiak always come to mind also. I am glad you are together again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jenny. I love your story. Lots of dog fur and dog kisses- Carolyn

Amy Wages said...

I love it!!!!

kirsten said...

I agree; you are a good story teller! Reminds me of my childhood a little...we always had a German Shepherd growing up. They are amazing dogs. Glad Josh and Kodiak are having summer fun:) I'm sure Kodiak will be waiting @ the door when school starts. Sweet Kodiak.

Renee said...

As one of those neighbors you mention without a big dog(yet), we are SOOOOO happy to have Kodiak back! We are glad you decided to bring him home and he seems quite happy with all of the attention he is getting from the boys. Thank you for sharing your story and for allowing us to be friends and to love on Kodiak. Renee

Robin said...

I was looking forward to reading Part II and I'm so glad it didn't end like "Marley and Me." I like your ending better.

tondie said...

that's the sweetest thing i've ever read. Great news!!! Miss y'all a bunch and think of each of you often. Lots of love, Tondie

Josh and Alisha Williams said...

What a story! I am so glad he survived and is back home! sweet it is!