Monday, July 20, 2009

Welcome Home, Boy

This is our 'Marley & Me' story.

About a year after we got married, Greg & I, in our carefree days, decided to go look at puppies. We (well, he) had absolutely no intention of buying one - we were just filling our time, being spontaneous. It was a crisp, fall day and we crunched our way to look at a litter of eleven 5-week-old German Shepard puppies. Their poor mother was overwhelmed, as you would imagine, and she needed to be relieved a little early. At 5 weeks, Shepards are just a solid black ball of fluff. They looked like mini bear cubs to me but one frisky little guy had our attention immediately. While the others appeared a bit dazed and confused, this one was looking for an adventure! He wrestled his brothers and attacked his sisters and had a brightness in his eyes that was delightfully irresistable..... A few hours later he was in my lap in the car on his way home.

We named him 'Kodiak'.

 

We were foolish and unthinking, bringing a dog home like that but God knew we needed him. He was our "first child", an extremely fast learner and soon lived to just make his daddy happy. I joke that the dog salutes at attention every time Greg walks in. They became so tight I believe Kodiak could read his mind and respond without even a command. But over the years I was battling the realization that my dream of starting a family wasn't going to happen on my timetable, if at all, and Kodiak, though a constant during that time, was just not a replacement.

It was 3 years after we brought our puppy home that we brought home our baby. With the addition of Joshua, we were finally the family I had hoped for. Kodiak was a proud big brother!

 

Everything was fine for the first several months. That new baby just stayed where he was put, had interesting smells, and something good to lick off his face every once in awhile. Seemed like we would all be fine -- until the combination of curiosity and mobility made Joshua not so fun anymore. Pretty soon, Kodiak would be let out and wouldn't want to come in anymore. It wasn't all bad. I appreciated losing the dog hair (and smell), and it just made my life easier. Better yet, we eventually moved to a new house with 2 blessed acres - dog and toddler heaven! They were best buds all over again and some of the sweetest moments of life were made there in our little corner of Eden.

 


 

Then one day Kodiak, always protective of his pack, risked his life for us. Day after day, two unrestrained dogs would come into our yard, barking and nipping at us. Kodiak ignored them and only kept his eye on me, waiting, begging, for the opportunity to take care of business. Knowing the consequences I would pay if I let him, I tolerated it for a ridiculously long time. Then one day while Greg was out of town I'd had it! A look straight into his eye and a quiet "Sic 'em" was all it took and he couldn't get traction fast enough! In 2 split seconds he had those dogs tearing out across the street right in front of a van but Kodiak didn't stop and he was hit. He yelped as he rolled fully up under the car. The sight of that....the sound of the bump and his yelp....it sent me to my knees screaming. I knew he wasn't alive. He would never go in the street, but I made him - ordered him - to do it! I ran in the house to keep Josh from coming out and left my Mom to pick up the pieces. A short time later she came in the house to tell me he was rattled -- but he literally walked away from it. I cried all night.

He never did high-jumping frisbee catches again after that, but we were amazed - and so thankful - that God spared him. The second half of his life has led a different kind of adventure but I will save that, and our recent reunion with him, for my next post. Until then, go give your dog a hug....:)
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Charissa said...

Good boy, Kodiak. Looking forward to Part II.

kirsten said...

Ohh...a tear jerker! Kodiak, what a great dog! sadly...it looks like our Boo must go:(

Marlita said...

What a sweet story. I will go give my doggies some love!

Shannon said...

I love hearing the history of Kodiak and anxiously await the nailbiting conclusion.

Robin said...

Seriously, tears in my eyes. I can't wait to read the rest of the story. We've had our share of dog drama over the last several years.

Anonymous said...

I remember when you first got Kodiak...I have pictures of him when he was still a puppy. Such a cutie. But then when I came the last time to visit (before Joshua came into your life) Kodiak didn't remember me and almost attacked me when I came through the front door. I know he had good intentions...he was just protecting my sister and I can't blame the little fella!:)
Juls

Laurie said...

Wonderful story! Had a similar car run-in with our current corgi, Verdi - he has a limp, but gets around just fine. So glad you've had such a wonderful, long time with your boy!