Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's never a good sign when your child gets in the car after school and starts out with, "Mom, please don't say anything until I get all the way through the story."

He's had his first trip to the principal's office.

I would be a little more uptight if I didn't grow up with a brother. He was always up to some mischief that could have also been called 'experiments'. How else would you label tests that answer questions like, "What will happen if I karate chop the toilet paper holder?". Or, "What's the velocity necessary to swing on this tree vine to get to the other tree?" Followed by, "How long does it take to be able to draw breath after slamming to the ground?" Then there's the sort of test that asks, "What's the most vindictive way to end my source of pain?" A great mystery of why my Disco Donald Duck record was wet one afternoon many years ago was solved at my wedding rehearsal dinner. My brother confessed that he peed on it. He was sick of hearing it.

He came by it honestly. My Dad, when he was a boy, needed to answer pressing questions for himself like, "What will be the reaction of my teacher and fellow students if I put a tack in each of their chairs?"

So you see how it would be understandable that I would be a 3rd grader walking down the hall and see my brother grabbing his ankles for the teacher to give him a walloping (boy things were different then)! And it may be understandable how Josh got in trouble for playing a game called, "If I Can Pull You Out Of Your Chair, You Lose". He lost, alright.

I take heart by the fact that my Dad and brother are now two of the most respectable, Christ-honoring -- and good-humored, I might add -- men I know. I couldn't be prouder to introduce you to either of them. If Josh turns out to be like either of them it will a mother's labor that was not in vain.

Our conversation in the car ended in a barrage of tears and fears that there would not be any presents under the tree. Oh, repentance! It's a wonderful thing...

5 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great story, it made me smile =)

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
As you know, when I read your latest blog posting I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair!! I might add that another trait all three of these men/boys share is a tender heart. God love 'em! And God bless you in your efforts in raising Joshua to be a godly man. (Train up a child in the way he should go....)
Much happy love,
Mom

KiwiObserver said...

HaHa Josh had the I'm-in-the-principal's office feeling too! Only he wasn't quite so innocent. Yes, Dad and John are two of the most wonderful people I know. Josh is following a grand tradition of Phillips fun, and I know he's growing to be loving, God fearing and good humoured. Much love to you all.

Charissa said...

Haha. Honestly it could have been so much worse. Thanks for the laugh. He still deserves lots of presents for Christmas.

Robin said...

I agree that it could have been much worse. It sounds like the kind of fun any boy would want to have. Maybe it's a good thing it happened right before Christmas so you had Santa leverage. :)