Thursday, April 2, 2009

Reading-challenged

I had to go to the bookstore yesterday to order a gardening book I needed. While typing up my order, the guy behind the counter asked, "So what do you read for fun?" I had a moment of panic, honestly wishing I could answer something like "The works of Walt Whitman" or "The Love Revolution". Even a self-help book would have preserved my pride. I held my head high, though, and answered truthfully, "Southern Living Magazine". I think when I'm done with this garden I need to start reading again....any suggestions?

Greg and I do like to read magazines together. It's great entertainment just to look at each others' article titles. He laughed when he saw mine the other night: "NO FUSS ALLOWED! Pull on your dark denim and slip into your favorite heels for fresh food and fun with the girls." Now alright girls, admit it, you were shaking your head at my lack of intellectuality at the bookstore but you're really wanting to read that article, aren't you? Well, come on over sometime. I'll put on my heels, make us some chicken caesar salad bites, and we'll talk about how much we love Jane Austen....

3 comments:

Jill said...

The Shell Seekers. The best novel ever written!

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I just got finished with a book titled, Sarah's Key. It was about the German occupation of Paris during WWII and the Jewish round-up. I enjoyed it, but I am a history geek. If you are really interested in doing more reading, I suggest you visit Barnes & Nobles and just peruse the displays looking for something that peeks your curiosity.
How is your garden coming along?
Love you,
Mom

kirsten said...

Whoever said Shell Seekers; great book!!! love Rosamunde Pilcher for light reading and then Mary Stewerts Thornyhold is great too....and then my all time favorite is Elizabeth Goudge....her trilogy of the Elliot family in Pilgrims Inn is unmatched! Jen you read that one, but it's the 2nd and the 1'st and 3rd were great too....too bad all out of print; must find @ abebooks.com for out of print books....wow sorry Jen, struck a cord w/ me when talking about BOOKS:)