Monday, November 1, 2010

A Different Costume

 

I should have seen it coming. After all, I heard the snipping very loudly. Remember the look on Josh's face last year in his costume? We were so creative and received so much praise for the lego-man we made him into, but he never looked excited about it. Months ago I asked him what he wanted to be this year. He never had a response. All my clever ideas sounded boring to him. Finally, he came clean -- he didn't want to dress up. He wanted to pass out candy.

I slowly and reluctantly adjusted to the thought and imagined, this time, how cute it would be for him and Greg to do it together (usually, that's Greg's job). But last night we were informed in no uncertain terms that passing out candy was his gig ALONE! Greg and I had to just about appear not to live here at all. Snip, snip.

We conceded. I hid in the shadows and listened to every kid get greeted by my son with lots of adoration. He let them each pick their favorite candy out of the bowl and sent them off with the friendliest, "Happy Halloween!" It was sweet. He was great. I was proud. Guess his costume this year was a young man. Snip, snip...

 

He consented to me taking this one picture, which was very generous of him. Then it was back to the shadows. The snip, snip? Of course it's that ol' apron string...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Charissa said...

That made me cry. What a sweet boy.

Anonymous said...

OK, now you are breaking my heart. Does this mean that he no longer wants to play hide and seek?
Love,
Mom