Monday, April 12, 2010

Home Again

 

Though no blogging occurred in March (wasn't I supposed to be elated to get rid of February?), plenty happened. To get started, I have to reach back to Spring Break. You know, I have to say that when I graduated from high school, I couldn't leave for college fast enough or go far enough. Adventure was calling me. That path along the way led to living in some of the best places in the U.S. and traveling to some amazing places around the world. For a loooong time I didn't really look back to the ol' home place except to miss the ones I loved. I've noticed lately though, that home seems to call a little more frequently and hold me a little more captive while I'm there. It might be nostalgia, it might be that it's so uniquely beautiful, it might even be the lack of tediousness from my own daily world. But I think, most of all, it may very well be my wonderful, precious family that keeps my heart warm in Orlando, Florida.

It's not Theme Park World to me. Far from it! When I go back, what grips me? It's citrus trees and mossy oaks, shell-and-sandy soil and rough grass. It's Key West architecture and old brick roads. It's a little lake at every corner and the knowledge that you would never swim in any of them. It's my Grandma's cute nightgowns and underwear out on the clothesline, and snake-halves in her yard from the shovel -- her weapon of choice. It's the sound of small planes constantly overhead and the familiar use of the words "y'all" and "fixin' to". It's my Dad's deisel truck loaded with fruit to deliver, and my Mom's dog waiting in the picture window for us to get back from having ice cream with Pop. It's the long, steady thunderstorms that don't drag tornadoes along with them. It's all just....kind of lovely, I guess.

Joshua and I had a week with all of that and more (except the snake-halves -- this time). He's a little dreamy-eyed now too, and can't wait to go back. I'll be sharing it all soon!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Jill said...

aahhh....florida, sweet florida. i guess i can't officially call it "home" although in my heart, i feel that way. i recently took hannah out for dinner to this really nice place that served hot tea steeped right at the table. it was magnolia tea, and the scent of it swept me back to the orange groves in bloom, and that sweet, pungent smell that is unmistakably florida. i just loved reading your post, and all of the memories that went along with it. i hope i make an appearance in a recalled high school memory or two of yours. :) you sure do in mine!

jennifer... said...

Jill, yeah girl, you're in plenty of those... beaches, Mateo, & music, music, music!

Debra said...

Who knew they said "ya'll" in Florida? What sweet memories! You're going to have to fill me in on Orlando, because we're going for the first time next month. Can't wait!

Charissa said...

I felt like I was reading the opening chapter of a book there for a second. Maybe the book title will be Farewell Mr. Coffee.

Amanda said...

This brought a tear to my eye, I have been waiting so long for a new blog!! I miss Florida more and more every day.

P.S- Dad's truck is gas =)

Anonymous said...

Home will always be here anytime you want to answer the call. ILY Mom

KiwiObserver said...

Your prose is so sublime! Thanks for the beautiful posts about Florida and Na. I can relate to fleeing the Florida sun only to eventually yearn for its heat and the warm company of family and friends. Your post has brought me just a little bit closer to the live oaks, cool spring water, and fossiliferous sands. Much love.