Saturday, September 12, 2009

I've been pondering alot about something lately. I'm not confident I'll be able to word my thoughts correctly so I hope I muddle through it half-right. It's about being a mom. When I was pregnant, every other mother that saw my belly told me to enjoy every moment of motherhood because it would all fly by way too soon. The most alarming was from my own mother who said, "Jenny, now it seems like it was all in the span of a good night's sleep". That's alarming because she had 3 of us well-spaced in age, so she was doing this for a "long" time. I heard this enough that I did take it seriously and vowed to never take for granted a single moment. A vow like that requires a self-check every now and then and for some reason, catching sight of this collection of stuff on my kitchen floor did it for me.

 

So big deal, huh? Well, I guess God can use whatever He wants and He used this to stop me in my tracks and remember who I am and why I do what I do. I am Joshua's mother. When I wonder what I'm suppose to do with my life, right now I need not look any further than that. Of all the people on the planet, God put this person unmistakably in my home. Is it any wonder that I should be about the business of raising him -- purposefully? How is it that we get so distracted about that?

I have my theories.

For one thing, it's not very glamorous. I don't see the covergirl of 'Vogue' with the subtitle of 'How does this stay-at-home-mom teach Bible verses to her little ones?'. But maybe, instead of hours in the gym, I should be showing my son what Jesus would do in our home and community.

Another thing is, this job doesn't pay much. I've heard many moms say with guilt that they don't feel like they're contributing equally to the home. Wow. I say without throwing a stone that, unless the situation is downright dire, this is a sad sellout. Is there a price to putting your life into the next generation? For millions of dollars, no one could do what I do because no one else loves my son the way I do. Goes back to that 'specially placed in my home' thing....

Third, but not lastly, I think there is a very strong message out there that this job is not a very smart one. Are you intelligent? Do you have a college degree? Then why are you wasting all that at home? I know women with graduate degrees and beyond that are choosing to lay that aside for awhile to make home their place of career and I want to cheer for them! With that kind of resume, isn't she even more qualified to raise a child in the way he should go?

The truth is, and this is what sobers me, on the timeline of the average 80 years of life, our kiddos are in our home only 18 of those. For me, having a son with a backpack THAT full, it's a bittersweet reminder that my time is getting shorter. Did I waste precious time on anything that doesn't go into eternity with me? Is HE going into eternity with me? Thankfully, I can answer yes to the second question but, unfortunately, I can answer yes to the first one, too. I have a vow to myself that I need to keep so thanks, God, I needed to know that.....
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

LivinandLaughinOutLoud said...

Oh My Goodness! I'm so thankful when God gives us those precious moments when He reminds of of the brevity of this season in our lives. What a blessing every single second with our children is. Now we all just need to read your blog entry every day so we won't forget!

Charissa said...

Aw. Great post Jennifer.

Ashley said...

I will never forget Greg saying that you only have those 18 years to guide your "arrow"! I know you are a proud mommy and you have a wonderful son to be proud of!

mundayseven said...

What a sweet reminder about the importance of our job as moms. Thanks!

Amy Wages said...

I know your heart Jenn and you have always been so aware of the blessing you have and "how much longer you have him in your home." Keep treasuring him like you do and celebrate that he is and always will be your precious baby! :)

Renee said...

It is amazing that you wrote this blog. If you only knew the conversations that I have been involved in the past couple of days! I know from experience that no amount of education or money will ever mean as much as getting a hug right after school or playing Nerf Gun Dart Tag in the middle of a hot summer day. I pray that I am following God's will and able to teach my boys how to be men of God as they move into adulthood. Being a mom is by far the most important job that we will ever have! It may not pay very much, but the bonuses are huge and the reward will last a lifetime. Thanks for reminding us of this in your blog!

RoverHaus said...

Wow, thanks for this reminder.

I needed this.

It all fits perfectly...except the mom part. But the same goes for dads too.

kirsten said...

very well said, Jen.

Becky said...

This is has been a topic God has brought to my attention a lot lately! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!