Thursday, July 17, 2008

Turpentine Creek

Close enough to make me nervous
A tiger named 'Jennifer'. She picks on all the other tigers.
We went to such an interesting place with friends from school yesterday. It's a wildlife refuge in Eureka Springs called Turpentine Creek. They literally have lions, tigers and bears - plus a few other rarely seen animals, all of them rescued from very poor or illegal situations. Remember the Exxon tiger running through the snow? They had him after he retired until he died recently. I figured out that it must be the cool thing to do to be a drug lord and own a puma. I also learned that inbreeding creates cross-eyed tigers. The BEST part was the 2 little tiger cubs they "accidently" got. One of their new rescued females was pregnant and delivered 6 weeks ago. They were so cute! Unfortunately my camera batteries had died and I didn't get a picture of them. What I thought was so funny, though, was how much more fascinating the critters in the grass were to Joshua and his friend Jordan. Of course. Reminds me of 4th of July fireworks. We were watching an awesome display in the sky while Josh ran around catching fireflies. I paid a good bit of money for us to see this place but I guess it's true what they say -- the best things in life really are free.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

liesel said...

That reminds me of the time we drove 18 hours to see Pikes Peak......only to watch the kids make snowballs and throw them at each other. They were not impressed with the great view.

Anonymous said...

We had fun at Turpentine Creek. But, really, the best part, was being able to chat with you an hour each way and get to know you better. I'm hoping I found a kindred spirit? :)