Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Gisela True and Prozac Too

January 12, 2013. Unbeknownst to me, a litter of puppies is born on the other side of Arkansas. About a month later I'm minding my own business in Target buying toilet paper, etc. when I get a call from Greg that we need a new puppy and there's a good one available in a few weeks. ??? We hadn't been talking about a puppy AT ALL. But you see, this is what happens when you go to Target alone. Your son and husband decide that our life has been incomplete, buddy-less, and a little bit lacking in home security. To clench the deal, the breeder will give us $200 off her price because we seem like good people. "So she's free?" I ask. Ha ha... As you can see, my heart is not made of stone. One look at Gisela True (we call her Zella) and I caved, of course. I have often wondered since, however, if my brain is made of stone. This adorable puppy has turned into the 14-year-old daughter we'll never have. Highly emotional, mood-swinging, hairy, silly, impulsive, sass-mouthed, borderline eating disordered, apple of her daddy's eye. I threatened to donate her to the police department her first whole year of life. They would have put her in juvie. We bought her with the consideration of breeding her (her parents are prize-winners from Germany) but I'm concerned it would threaten our already precarious status with Germany as an ally. Zella doesn't exactly support the image of the folks who boast of Einstein and history's greatest composers. Nevertheless, even with all her quirks, she's one of the family now. For all her insufferableness she really is crazy about Joshua and provides us with a lot of entertainment. And Joshua is crazy for her right back. Every time I ask, "Why in the world did we get this dog?!?", he says, "Because I love her". Point made.

No comments: