Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Skipper

No, we're not pregnant. The addition to our home is.....

Another turtle! (Which makes 4)

 

It's a baby softshell! Gotta tell you the story so humor me on yet another tale. First of all, have you ever seen a softshell turtle? I hadn't. Except for one in an exhibit. They're not very common to see at all, let alone as a baby -- which is the ultimate prize in this family. We never in a thousand years thought we'd really find one. And that's not for a lack of someone always looking...

Here is Josh hanging over a dock trying to catch some fish he was feeding french fries to. Some common adult turtles were in the crowd but no softshell. This is just one example of MANY!

 

Actually, the way it happened was at this spot below. This is my favorite lakeside hangout -- the place where I plop my chair, get out my 'Southern Living' magazine and watch the boys swim. On this particular occasion, we were walking down to our spot and Greg reminded us to be on the lookout for a baby softshell. I stuck my toes in the water, said "We'll never find one", and looked down to see one sitting right next my foot. I kid you not, it was just like that! I thought Greg was gonna lose consciousness...

 

For the rest of the afternoon I relished again at how good God is. I sat in my chair, watching the boys swim, and wondered, "Is it really a miracle that these things happen, or are things like this more common than we think and we just miss it?" I decided that the glory of God's creation is incredibly common. The real miracle is when our eyes are opened to see it...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed to have the opportunity to see God's world of wonderment through the eyes of an 8-year old boy. (Or is he 9 now?)
Love to all, Mom

kirsten said...

Love it, love it!! I think about that exact thing even on the coldest, greyest days up here....it's still amazingly beautiful. God's creation is all around, and the miracles there of....I need to send Josh pictures of our GIANT banana slugs....he would be so impressed:)