Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our Valentines Day

Yes, I think Valentine's Day is the dumbest day on the calendar. I shake my head in disgust at the commercials aimed at the poor guy who will end up in the dog house if he doesn't get his demanding princess a diamond necklace. Around here, V-day is sweet in a much simpler, confectionery way...

For a yummy breakfast treat, Joshua helped me make orange bread. He hand-squeezed the juice we needed -- and slurped down the extra as if it were some forbidden soda. What a novelty!

 

 

Every bad thing you can think of is in this bread. It was delicious!!

Later in the evening, we all put together homemade cards for each other and I made mini heart-shaped, red-velvet, chocolate cakes. These were from me for my boys (big hearts for my Big One, and little hearts for my Little One)...

 

The best part of the whole day was how excited Josh was for Dad to see what I had made for him. Greg had been out earlier in the evening so we placed the little card and cake where he could see it as soon as he walked in. Josh posted himself by the door to listen for the garage door to open so we could hide and jump out screaming "SUPRISE!". I can tell you I would not have thought it deserved such pomp. But it was sweet in the purest V-day way to see how much Josh loved doing this for Dad -- I really thought he was going to explode with anticipation (I bet I heard the "beep-beep-beep" of our alarm system 20 times from Josh cracking the door open, making sure he didn't miss Dad's arrival). And sweet, too, was how much Greg relished it! The back-story of Josh's excitement just made him melt...

Hope your day was sweet as well -- in whatever way you needed it to be! ;)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jill said...

yum, yum...YUM
both look totally yummy.
email the bread recipe, girl...don't hold back on me now. You posted the picture now you have to SHARE!
LOVE YA

Anonymous said...

I love celebrating little family traditions - it looks like your family does too. That warms the cockles of my heart =) Mom
P. S. I would like that recipe too!

KiwiObserver said...

I walked 20 km up a mountain, over landslides, and down a river to the Tasman Sea on Valentine's Day- with rocks in my backpack! I heart fault rocks, but I'm especially happy to be home :-)

Anonymous said...

Mom and her big words...."cockles"...hehehehehe


Julie:-)