Sunday, August 10, 2008

On To Shallower Things...

Cars. My older friends still laugh that I married a guy who's in to hot rods, and actually owns one. He's a classy guy though, who doesn't spin his tires out for a cute girl standing by (and claims that, even as a teenager, he never was that dumb). He just loves to keep it shiny. And having a bad-to-the-bone, 760 hp engine is kept under wrap by The Carpenters blaring out the window as we cruise to the ice cream shop together. It's his self-imposed way of keeping humble. This might explain a little more of just why I love that car guy.

Alright, now we're in a position where we might need to get another daily driver for us. Help me on this one because I think this fits in the 'I don't notice purses' category. I'm not in to luxury cars. If I found a brand new one for $2 I probably still wouldn't drive it. I know they are quality, hold their value, run nice and all that but I would hide from you if saw me in one. Why??? I think it's a sort of reverse pride. I can't explain it further than that. I'm sorry Morgan Freeman was just in a bad car accident but when I read that he was driving an older sedan I was endeared to him immensely more. He could drive anything he wanted but didn't need to, I suppose because he didn't need to. You know what I'm sayin'?

With reasonable cars now inflated to absurd prices thanks to fuel issues, its possible that a "luxury" car is now similarly priced to a 1982 Datsun (my first car) so you might catch me in an uncomfortable sight soon. I hope not. PLEASE, however, don't assume anything about me beyond the fact that I have four wheels just like you. To make up for it, be sure that I will have chipped toenail paint and grocery coupons in my 5-year-old purse. And if you listen carefully you just may hear blaring out my window, "Why do birds suddenly appear..."

8 comments:

Amy Wages said...

I love you Jenifer...you make me feel normal. I can't keep up with all the girlie things.

kirsten said...

I'm w/ you. I am completely endeared to the unassuming, unpretentious type. However, as I get older, I realize we all have our "thing" that we like to spend a little money on. For one person its a nice car and another its a nice purse. Do you think I look funny in the Walmart grocery isle w/ my coupons coming out of my coach bag:)
I miss you Jennifer!!!

Tami said...

So... no BMW for Christmas this year? Well, I guess you're stuck with just a plain old Beauchamp family photo then.

PS - It wasn't his car, but I hope he's still endearing to you... after all, he still drove Miss Daisey.

liesel said...

I'd hate to burst your Morgan Freeman bubble, Jennifer, but I think it was actually his mistress' '97 Nissan? I hope I'm wrong because I loved that about him as well (until I dug around a little bit on the internet).

jennifer... said...

I regret that I brought up poor Mr. Freeman.  Greg suggested that if he'd been in a better car maybe he wouldn't have gotten so injured so I'm losing this one all around!

kirsten said...

Have fun @ Big Cedar lodge! Your comment on my blog, brought fond memories of you, me and Charissa driving up there....oh the laughter! Have a blessed family time:)

Josh and Alisha Williams said...

Jennifer I love how you are! I agree with Kirsten on we all spend money on what we like.
Gril enjoy your new car, whatever it may be!
Miss and love you
Alisha

Anonymous said...

Jen, I think you should get a Pewter 1976 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser w/ the back seat facing backwards so Josh can see where he's been and the car guy can spend all day saturday washing the thing (aircraft carrier).
Have I told you lately that you have a blessed husband!